Thursday, December 19, 2019

Senior Year 1st Semester Reflection

This semester we worked on 3 videos. However, I was only able to work on 2 of the 3 due to the fact I was out of town for a week. Even though I was gone, I captured some great photos during that time.

Camera Assignment 1

For my first project, my group and I worked on camera assignment 1. We set it up to be like a PSA. The base line was cursing, and how it can get you into trouble. For this project we were given a week. I think it worked well for what we were doing and the time we were given. My team worked well together and got it done in a timely manner. I learned that if you have a well organized team with connections, it doesn't take long to complete something you can be proud of.

Short Film

The other project I had the chance to work on was a short film called "The Date". The main idea was a shy, awkward guy asks out the most popular girl in school. For this project we were given a month. There was a lot of pre-production for this one because we had to hire actors, storyboard, schedule filming dates and locations. The rest we did in a matter of days. Some of the issues we had involved the time of year because of Thanksgiving break and a snow day. We also had an issue with one of our actors because they were in orchestra and it is the season for the big concerts for them. In the end, I think the short film could have turned out better if we had given ourselves more time to edit. I was originally editor, however I was not given enough time, due to our rearranging schedule, to edit the film the way I wanted, so another group member took the job. I did however have to step in as an actor for the film. I am not a fan of being on camera, but due to the limited time, I decided there was not much of a choice if we wanted a certain ending. 

Overall, in class, I thought I used my time wisely. I did a lot of editing for my film reel to make something I was truly proud of. I used my time to organize the footage I had in order to make it as clean and easy to find as possible. 

My area of strength lies within organization and editing. I spend a lot of time sorting through footage to find exactly what I want and edit it to the exact way I want it. However I do need some improvement in cinematography and directing. Im not the most skilled on a DSLR when it comes to filming. I know a lot about the photography side of it, but not as much when it comes to filming. When I do photography I usually work with a "point and shoot" type camera since that is what is most readily available to me being that my father is a photographer on the side. I feel as though my editing has gotten much stronger from last year to make a cleaner piece. 

Our guest speakers taught me a lot. Unfortunately, I was gone for the presentation given by Morgan Cooper, who I feel I could have taken a lot from in order to improve my directing skills. I learned a lot from Darby and Ryann about pre-production, post production and editing. I think that is what helped me improve my organization and editing skills this semester. 

For our up-coming feature film I am vey excited that I get the chance to be the storyboard artist. I feel as though we have a strong, well thought out and detailed script that will make this job very easy. I plan on reading over the script during the break to plan how I will capture the details in storyboards. 

First semester has been interesting for me. I had a lot of things going on at the same time and I was gone a good amount. Whether I was out of town or sick, I missed a lot of class time. I would love to see an opportunity to work on a project all on my own in order to see how well I manage my time in order to improve my collaboration skills. However I did learn that if your group is well organized and efficient, it does not take long to complete something you are proud of. A goal that I will set for myself next semester is that I would like to have better time management. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 Reel

My 2020 film reel is about fun and friendships. It includes some b roll that I have taken on vacations, the short films I have worked on, a...